Today I feel like tearing everything down. Just stripping away my portfolio, my personal style, my old limitations and beliefs, and just starting anew, on a blank canvas. Not in a destructive, negative, kind of way, but in an inspired and excited way. I kind of want to restart my portfolio, my creativity, my vision for my other brand, all while keeping and rediscovering what I hold the most dear to my core. I’ve done this so many times – defining and redefining, building constructs and concepts and then tearing them down, always morphing and pulling in new threads of ideas, inspirations, aspirations, stories. Maybe it’s time to do it again?
What inspires me the most is exuberance and vibrancy of life, of colors. When the world shines in ultraviolet sunbeam hues, the nature is alive and restless around you and the ocean glimmers merrily in the background. That’s why I am eternally in love with spring and summer – two of the most solar and… alive seasons. Don’t get me wrong, there’s something charming and lovable about every season, but spring – especially – holds a very dear place in my heart because it symbolizes new beginnings, new possibilities.
So I want my life and my brand to be vibrant, and bold, and full of vivacity.
With each year passing by, I noticed more and more how fast things change and move. Things I used to be in love with are now nothing like how I remember them, technology is always getting insanely better and the culture is never stopping spinning its wheels. I think it’s quite natural for people nowadays to change interests and careers and life paths and just… move on, evolve.
After all, what’s the point without progression? When I was 15 my biggest dream was to be a web designer and I achieved that dream pretty quickly. Fast forward to today, I just don’t feel jazzed about it, especially about doing THE SAME FREAKING THING I was doing 16 or even 10 years ago, and I used to feel so guilty about not loving it as much because hey, it was my dream at some point. But I realized that it’s natural and normal in life to evolve and to want new things according to different stages that we’re in. You know, to expand and transform.
Life doesn’t always have to be a painful grind, tremendous effort and unsurmountable work… It can be enjoyable, light and fun! Sure, putting a great deal of energy and work into something is always going to be necessary for yielding quality results, but what I’m saying is that it doesn’t have to be painful. That’s why I’m tearing down everything painful and focusing on what I love and enjoy.
So I must say that I already started implementing new things into my routine:
- I signed up for a couple new courses about business, since that has always been my “sore” point.
- I diligently maximize my lunch breaks. Since at the moment I am at the office every week day between 8 and 5 and have no flexibility, I thought that the best use of my time would be to maximize productivity in every single free second I have. No, that doesn’t mean I skip lunch, but I often bring lunch or go home instead of eating out, and just work on the blog or learn new things during the time I have left. Sometimes I run errands and shoot videos / photos during that time. Or just meet up with clients if I have to.
- I plan outfit shoots in advance and I try to shoot as many things possible during weekends
- I raised my freelancing design prices since that weeds out the “clients from hell” that have unrealistic expectations and just expect to get almost everything for free or at a ridiculously cheap price
- I ordered a bunch of new awesome books, including one about copywriting and MANY about style
- I started expressing myself more and got a few pairs of killer heels that I never had the courage to get before, because… life’s too short and I absolutely LOVE them
- I’m super pumped up to write more articles for this blog in the upcoming weeks and I have a few ideas for article series (more to be revealed SOON ;))
So, just how Joe Rogan has that motto “Be the Hero of your own movie”, I want my motto this year to be:
Be the creative director of your own life!
…because you are 😉
Cheers to new beginnings. And spring!