Living a healthy lifestyle doesn’t only revolve around the foods we nourish ourselves with or the amount of exercise we engage in. Even though these are very important, I think living healthily involves also making more conscious choices when it comes to the clothing we wear, the products we invest in and the daily habits that can either support us or destroy us.
Today I’ve partnered with prAna specifically to discuss a topic that has not only been shunned from, but also carries a certain emotional charge with it: hemp fabric.
Kid Cudi ft. Andre 3000 – By Design
Hemp – the wonder plant
When we’re talking about hemp, I feel like there’s still a lot of confusion and misunderstanding because of the stigma around cannabis and the association of this plant with either drugs or the whole hippie lifestyle.
The truth is that hemp has been used as a fabric for centuries and has tremendous benefits for humans and the environment. So if you care, even a little, about creating a more sustainable future, you should definitely think of investing in hemp clothing, and anything made out of hemp.
Why use up the forests which were centuries in the making and the mines which required ages to lay down, if we can get the equivalent of forest and mineral products in the annual growth of the hemp fields?” – Henry Ford
I’ve always been fascinated by how hemp can be used in so many ways, from medicine to fabric to construction material (yes, you read that right!)
Not many people know this but… hemp produces more pulp per acre than timber on a sustainable basis, and can be used for every quality of paper.
I had no idea prAna made clothes out of hemp until recently so when gifted the opportunity to try out some of their items I was very excited! They don’t only make yoga or active apparel, but also clothes you can wear every day and are fit for every occasion.
I always like to go on random adventures, and whether I’m strolling around the city searching for cool spots or walking in nature stalking the sunset, I like to wear items that are versatile and comfortable, but in the same time stylish and chic.
The Cozy Up Sweatshirt and Cozy Up Pant were the best choice for fall and winter because the temperatures are starting to drop; plus I immediately fell in love with the amazing colors – mulled wine and cargo green respectively.
Inspiring healthy, active, and free-spirited living
Why I Love Hemp
- Hemp fabric is naturally anti-microbial – which means it will kill bacteria and you will remain cleaner than when wearing other types of fabrics. ✨
- It’s a thermo-conductor, which means you will stay cool and dry even through the most challenging conditions. Like going out in excessive Florida humidity. 🙋♀️
- It allows the wearer to feel warmer when wet, even in cold conditions. Or when you get caught in that rainstorm that just came out of nowhere. 💦
- It dries quickly, so you can always have it clean and ready to throw in your bag whenever you’re ready for your next adventure. 🤸
- Contrary to popular belief, it’s actually incredibly soft and comfortable 🧣
- Hemp has incredible environmental benefits. It doesn’t pollute the air, water or soil. On the contrary, it builds soil composition. It is commonly grown organically, without pesticides or synthetic fertilizers. 🌿
- Because it is an extremely fast growing crop, hemp produces more fiber yield per acre than most other sources. 🌾
Get 15% off at prAna by using my code: PHAK18
Thank you so much for reading! Do you believe in hemp as a fabric of the future? Let me know in the comments below. As always, much love ❤️